Advise For Trip To Shillong

Discussion in 'North East India' started by DeepikaKunal, Feb 15, 2016.

1. DeepikaKunal

DeepikaKunal New Member

I would like to take a holiday in the North East part of India which I have not done before and one of the destinations which come to mind is Shillong. Now I know nothing about North East India hence why I am on the forum. My queries are in a list of questions, so sorry if they maybe too stupid or simple to answer but these are the things I need to know before I plan the trip. So that it helps we will be two couples travelling.
    Thanks in advance.

What attractions are there to see in Shillong?

What can you do in Shillong apart from visiting attractions?

What is the best way to get the Shillong, i.e nearest airport, the best way to reach the destination from the airport?

What kind of crowd would you find in Shillong?

How many days would you suggest visiting Shillong for?

2. Rayne

Rayne New Member

I understand there's quite a nightlife in Shillong. Are you into that sort of thing? It's also touted at the tourist capital of the east. Shopping is supposed to be good and of course there are all the tourist attractions.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum!

Here's my answer to your questions:

What attractions are there to see in Shillong?
    • Some of the best visited attractions in Shillong are the Umiam Lake, Mahadev Kola Dham, the Shillong Peak, Elephant Falls, Lady Hydari Park and Wards Lake.
    What can you do in Shillong apart from visiting attractions?
    • You can try your hand at water rapelling which can be quite difficult but very much rewarding. Trekking and hiking are also major tourist activities in Shillong. Some individuals love to bring their bikes in the challenging areas in Shillong and ride it there. Of course, no trip would be complete without shopping, which you can also do in Shillong.
    What is the best way to get the Shillong, i.e nearest airport, the best way to reach the destination from the airport?
    • Shillong airport is at Umroi. It connects to Kolkata and you can get a taxi to go to Shillong from the airport.
    What kind of crowd would you find in Shillong?
    • They are generally warm and friendly people. During peak season, you'll find lots of tourists who are in the same boat as you, wanting to explore the place and are very excited. The locals can be of great help and can guide you.
    How many days would you suggest visiting Shillong for?

• I would advice to allot at least five days for your trip to Shillong. Anything shorter than that can make you rush the trip and not enjoy all of the possible destinations.
    I hope this helps!