Americanized Accommodations Versus Traditional?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Emilyhutchinson0922, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Emilyhutchinson0922

Emilyhutchinson0922 New Member

For those of you who have traveled or known someone who has traveled to India, would you recommend somewhere that is more mainstream American or somewhere that is more rural?

oportosanto and briannagodess like this.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

It all comes down to your personal preference. I personally believe that if you are looking for a place which is more like where you live then why bother traveling? Nothing could even come close to your own home if you want everything like you get at home ;)

I would suggest traveling into interiors and getting a feel of the culture and traditions, seeing some historical temples, forts, palaces etc.

oportosanto and briannagodess like this.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Whenever we travel, we always make it a point to experience the culture of the country we're visiting. So that includes, eating whatever food the locals eat, exploring local markets, interacting with the locals themselves and yes, even choosing more traditional accommodations. This way, you get to experience the country as a whole, not just bits and fragments of it. We don't even opt for the five-star hotels, but we choose the smaller hotels. If we can choose bed and breakfast accommodations, we do so.

Of course, there are people who cannot seem to let go of their comfort zones. For instance, my uncle and his family went on a trip to Hong Kong. He related the story of how annoying his family was while they were in there. They were always complaining about the hotel and the food. And the point is, you are there to experience what the locals eat and do. So that means you need to let go of your comfort zone even just that one time. Sadly, throughout their whole trip, my uncle's wife and kids searched for fast food chains like McDonald's and KFC because they wouldn't try the local cuisine after eating once at a restaurant.

So for me, I'd always choose the traditional accommodations. There are even older hotels that can give that satisfaction knowing that it has been there for a long while now.

4. Bonzer

Bonzer New Member

@Emily: Well, I certainly understand your reservations. Comfort levels are important even while going on a holiday. There are certain beach resorts in Goa and Pondicherry where you have a mainstream Americanized culture and cuisine. Surprisingly, Indians are NOT allowed there.

Well, if you don't believe see for yourself Foreigners only resorts. I shall try to get you more such locations. Nevertheless, please bear in mind that people in India are very warm and hospitable. Cheers!

5. oportosanto

oportosanto New Member

I agree that it goes down to personal preference. If I was to stay for a short period of time I would prefer the traditional accommodation because for me traveling is to see new places, to meet new people, to experience new costumes, so I would not make sense to stay in a similar place to what I have at home, I want to try new things.

6. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I remember last year when my aunt and uncle went to India and it was just the two of them as taking the children would have meant not being able to try the traditional methods of accommodation as the children, would have wanted to stay in something which would have meant something like home and more comfortable. It was nice for my relatives to get to try new foods and even went to the Dilmah tea making factory which let them have a tour and try tea and see how the process works out, and it is good to try new things when on a trip as you can see how different cultures live and what they eat as well. I think that it is important to try and do some research before heading out for a visit as you can see what the prices are and also you can see how much you need for the trip and also how much you need to budget so you have enough money while you are in India.

7. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member

I think it comes to personal experience and how immersed in the culture you want to be, but I personally would rather stay in a americanized hotel, because I'd already know how everything works, and it seems that traditional hotels are not usually low-budget, because there are certain cultural standards you have to live up to. But I'd love to stay in a traditional hotel and taste some yummy Indian breakfast XD

8. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

My personal experience tells me to always try something new even once. If my hotel is highly urbanized without the flourish of the locals that's okay too but I'd rather stay somewhere where I can actually feel like what it is to live and work in a particular city. I want the dirt, the unsureness, the whole adventure of going somewhere new.

9. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

I'm really not sure what you are trying to say here but you seem to be looking for a travel destination in India that is more conducive to Western tourists. If this is the case, I suggest you visit cities in the country that record the most number of foreign tourists every year. With this influx of foreign tourists, there are hotels and other types of accommodation that caters to Americans and Europeans. You won't feel out of place if you use these hotels.

As to your second question, it's advisable that you stay away from cities and go for less-traveled roads. The more you travel away from the cities, the more rural the places you visit become.

10. Linda Nyabundi

Linda Nyabundi New Member

I have been to India and would definitely recommend a more traditional or rural stay if you are looking to experience the culture and India first hand. The Americanized stay is just similar to your stay at home and there is no adventure in it. To get a full Indian experience and something different from what you are used to, go for the traditional rural stay. That way you can integrate with the locals, learn something things about the culture and traditions of Indians and get to experience Indian stay first hand. Try something different while in a different place or culture otherwise whats the end of going all the way to India just to stay in an Americanized hotel or accommodation? Traditional stays are also more affordable and more accommodating and friendly in my experience.

11. I think that I would prefer a more traditional accommodation to the country I'm visiting. It can sometimes be drastically different to what you're used to, but as some other have mentioned, isn't that why we travel to begin with? One of the most fun trips I ever took involved sleeping on an old iron cot in a classroom in a church in the Ukraine. I was on a mission trip, and the church that our team worked with put us up and fed us. We had our own Ukrainian cook who made us meals and snacks! We ate, slept, and brushed our teeth with local people. I wouldn't trade that experience for a 5-star hotel even if someone had offered to pay for it.

12. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

I like learning about other people's traditions and that is why I will prefer travelling to a rural area. That allows me to eat different traditional foods and interact with the locals there. That also allows me to learn about cooking different traditional foods.

13. Norjak71

Norjak71 New Member

Myself, more American. I like to enjoy the culture but I don't like feeling uncomfortable and out of place either. I will always try to find people that are American to go with or find someone there that wants to explore together.

14. rootle

rootle Member

Well it doesn't have to always be between American (basically Westernised) accommodation and uncomfortable accommodation. There are many, many Hotels and guesthouses that have high quality rooms and food but have an Indian theme of some sort. Rajasthan, in particular, is the state that comes to mind that does this best. There they have many old forts and palaces that have been converted into hotels, some are newly built but use a traditional architectural style. Similar types of hotels exist in other states too. In some parts of the country you can actually get old fashioned British or Portuguese style accommodation too, which sort of counts as part of Indian tradition these days.