Best history museums

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by art_and_yoga, Aug 4, 2016.

1. art_and_yoga

art_and_yoga New Member

I want to learn more about Indian culture through history museums. I will be landing in Kolkatta. I'm still planning out the rest of my trip.

2. rootle

rootle Member

The Indian Museum in Kolkata is supposed to be a very good museum. I haven't been to it myself but I've heard of it from friends and from what I've read of it online I'd assume that it is one of the better museums in the country.
    Indian Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

art_and_yoga likes this.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well if there was one thing that was never really out of reach from us while we were over there it was cultural experience and historical relevance. I cannot really recall seeing many museums, but there were plenty of other ways to learn about the history of India and their traditions. I am sure that there are museums to visit and it is just a matter of finding them, though, and for that I would say just do your research and ask around. There is certainly a great deal of history to explore and to tell of, so that is certainly not the issue. Thanks for sharing.

4. djtravels

djtravels Member

You can easily lookup where the major museums are in any city. But, when you're surrounded with 5 millenia of history, going into a museum would seem a tad strange. Generally, museums, forts, palaces, and other historical monuments that are well maintained provide audio guides, or human guides, as you may like, who can provide you details about each and every antique. Kolkata is a historical city and has a lot of medieval and colonial architecture.

The Museum you're looking for is called the Indian Museum. Just google it. Its a 200 year old museum and has ancient, medieval and even some paleolithic artifacts. Basically, if something didn't make its way to the British museum during the Raj, then it was placed in Kolkata. So, this museum is a treasure trove for the enthusiast.