Best Place to Buy Gemstones in India

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Meher, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Meher

Meher New Member

I have researched and found out that gemstones in India are much cheaper, and as I will be in India by the end of this year it will be best for me to purchase the gemstones from India itself.

I would like to know the best place to buy gemstones in India.

I would also like some advice on whether it is a good idea to order them online or go to the shop itself to purchase them?

2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Local jewelry shops would be your best bet, especially in the big cities. There are always gemstones being sold there, and for a surprisingly lower price compared to everywhere else. It's a good way to get souvenirs and stuff, and you will also have your pick in a diverse selection, as there are more than one of these places in the more popular areas. It's a common place to attract tourists, and maybe that's why they are cheaper, since it is a major theme in India, and you can always guarantee that a tourist would want to take home a piece of their culture.

3. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

This shop, 9 Gems, Bangaluru seems a genuine shop as they have the life time buy back policy. They also have experts that can help you choose. You have to be careful while buying gemstones as there could spurious stuff in some shops.

4. Deven

Deven Member

There are two main options for buying gemstones in India: online or visiting a physical store. Here's a breakdown of the pros and cons of each to help you decide:

Pros:
    • Wider selection: You can browse a vast variety of gemstones from different sellers across India.

• Convenience: Shop from the comfort of your home and compare prices easily.

• Competitive rates: You might find better deals online due to lower overhead costs for sellers.

Cons:
    • Authenticity concerns: It can be challenging to verify the authenticity and quality of gemstones online. Buy from reputable vendors with certification for the stones.

• Limited inspection: You can't physically examine the gemstones before purchase.

• Returns and refunds: The return policy might be stricter for online purchases.

Physical Stores

Pros:
    • Direct inspection: You can closely examine the gemstones for clarity, cut, color, and quality.

• Expert advice: Reputable stores have experienced staff who can guide you and answer your questions.

• Trust and guarantee: You have more confidence in the authenticity of the gemstone when buying from a trusted jeweler.

Cons:
    • Limited selection: Selection might be smaller compared to online options.

• Potentially higher prices: Physical stores might have higher overhead costs reflected in the price.

• Location limitations: You're restricted to stores in your area.

Here are some additional tips for buying gemstones in India:

• Do your research:Learn about different gemstones, their qualities, and market prices before you shop.

• Get certifications: Always ask for a lab certificate from a reputable gemological institute to ensure the stone's authenticity and quality.

• Consider bargaining: Negotiating a price is common practice in many Indian stores, especially at gems and jewelry markets.

• Beware of fakes: Be cautious of deals that seem too good to be true. If a gemstone price is significantly lower than the market value, it might be fake.

Ultimately, the best place to buy gemstones depends on your priorities. If you prioritize convenience and selection, online might be suitable. If you prioritize personal inspection, expert advice, and trust, a physical store might be better.