Best Route To See Major Attractions And Festivals In India?

Discussion in 'Itinerary' started by LydiaJJ, Dec 9, 2015.

1. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

Hi everyone.

If someone had about ten days to spend in India and wanted to see at least one or two of the usual tourist attractions, but also to attend some sort of festival which region would be best to head for?

Thanks.

2. Vnisha

Vnisha New Member

I think you should go for Jaipur. The best thing is that, this is a location to nearest top tourist places. Within ten days you can explore the real beauty of Jaipur and nearest locations & furthermore you can enjoy festive and cultural life.

3. Drifter

Drifter New Member

I would also be interested to know what people can suggest regarding festivals. There's nothing more exhilarating than being in among the swirl of positivity that comes from a crowd of people all focused on celebrating one thing.

4. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

Thanks for the idea. I heard there is a camel festival in Jaipur, is it something you'd recommend for a tourist? I think camels are the cutest things!

5. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

It depends,the dates you are supposed to be in India,In month of Feb.from 20 to 22 there is a festival called the Desert festival in Jaisalmer Rajasthan is must see event,camel festival is in the place called Bikaner and cattle fair of Pushkar is also a must see event.Desert Festival 2017 will be from 08-10 Feb.and Pushkar cattle fair will be from 08-14 November 2016,& 28 Oct.to 02 November 2017.
    Camel fair Bikaner will be from 19 to 24 Feb.17.
    Most interesting place is Jaisalmer,(The Golden city).

Note -: There is a great Hindu festival on 23rd March 2016, called HOLI,the festival of colours will be celebrated all over India,(mainly the North India only).

Thanks
    M.Nayak

6. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

Thanks for the information M.Nayak. The Jaisalmer festival must be happening right now! Is the HOLI festival of colors the event where people throw colored powder (?) at each other?

7. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

LydiaJJ, Actually the Festival Holi is more from northern India,it's celebrated in all over India but it's more famous from North.There the many places where it can be celebrated but the most famous place for Holi festival is a Mathura,(Uttar pradesh state),but that's too too busy and it's mostly known among the spirituality lover people,groups,societies & very-very religious Hindus go there.In many other parts of northern India it's very well celebrated and enjoyed very much.The most recommendable place for this event is Rajasthan,which is very well known for it's traditions,cultures,hospitality of the people,peaceful ambiance and colors.It's people are known as one of the India's most sympathetic and warm welcome & cheerful personalities all over. To enjoy any festival and the visits this is the most preferred place but not that touristc,(except some places like Jaipur,the capital.),to celebrate Holi festival Jodhpur and Jaisalmer are the place for enjoyment at it's fullest,Jodhpur is quite populated,Jaisalmer is the best place so far.As it's very small and it has familiar ambiance to celebrate any festival,There is desert also at the same time for adventure trip spending overnight in the desert under millions of stars.You can go for Jaisalmer photos.It's little far from Delhi but it has direct train from Delhi and this can be discovered in less then a week time also with the Golden triangle trip with Tajmahal.
    Regards
    M.Nayak

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well in terms of festivals I have always been under the assumption that Diwali was the big one to go see. I was not anywhere near the time of year for that when I traveled there, but I still managed to hear a lot about it from other people who were visiting, so I am guessing that it is a big draw for tourists. I would say just do some research and plan out your trip as best as you can.

LydiaJJ likes this.
  9. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply and information M. Nayak, I really appreciate it. Are you from the north of India yourself? Jaisalmer sounds like a great place to visit.

10. M.Nayak

M.Nayak Member

Thanks for a reply LydiaJJ,Hope everything is OK.Yes i am from North of India and i work as a national tour guide for all India for several different multi national companies from Europe.I take people to India,Nepal,Bhutan & Sri Lanka as a freelance tour guide,sometime i work as local freelance guide in small towns like Jodhpur & Udaipur.Actually Udaipur & Jaisalmer are the my favourite places in north India,as they are very small,peaceful and there is lot to see as well.I said a lot about Jaisalmer because there many people go to celebrate HOLI festival for fun.Anyone can anyone's house for the festival,people welcome and help enjoy the festival for free.Everyone can enjoy the all festival in familiar ambience unless they are no drunk like it happen on the HOLI festival in all over north India,everyone is free to have drink that festival and do the any kind of jokes,people don't really mind because of HOLI. There is an saying in Hindi language that,(BURA NA MANO HOLI HAI),literally means don't mind it's HOLI. You can ask me for any information,enquiry for any of the above mentioned countries,states.
    Please feel free to ask for anything,any time.
    Regards...
    M.Nayak

11. LydiaJJ

LydiaJJ New Member

Thanks M. Nayak. The HOLI festival sounds like fun, a little like April Fool's Day, perhaps, with the jokes and pranks you can play without penalty.