Can Mosquitoes Bite Through Clothes

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rebecca, Apr 25, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Rebecca

Rebecca New Member

I will be arriving in India in early May, I have researched pretty much everything and have everything sorted out. The only issue I have is mosquitoes, as usual, I will be using mosquito repellent, but I am quite it is worried if mosquitoes can bite through clothes.
    I will be covered in the thinnest material, but if the case is that mosquitoes can bite through clothes, then why be covered so much especially it being so hot during May.

I would like some replies regarding this issue from people living in India, and if it is the case of mosquitoes biting through clothes, then I would also like some solutions to this problem.

2. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

As someone who is a mosquito TARGET wherever I go, I can confidently say that the answer is yes and no, YES to thin shirts or sweaters, and NO to really thick jackets. But you know what that means, right? If the mosquitoes can't bite your arms and torso, your face, ears, and hands are targets now because you protected yourself. This is why I hate mosquitoes. I always get peppered with bites after the afternoon.

3. Bruno Martins

Bruno Martins New Member

No but they'll bite you where they can and that's enough! If you can stay covered during the day then do so and at night use a mosquito net along with other forms of protection. If mosquitos like you enough they'll find you whatever you do. Good luck!

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Unfortunately as others have said, mosquitoes can and will bite through clothing, especially thin materials, but having said that they've even been known to bite through denim so you're never safe from them.

You can always apply repellent under the clothing you're wearing though, and I'm sure now that you can buy a spray to apply onto you're clothing that acts as another barrier to keep them away.

5. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

Diseases like dengue and malaria are rampant so I would never stay at a place that's dark, dank, anywhere near stale water source and dirty surroundings since that's where mosquitoes thrive. Wear lose clothing when going outside. If you can, stay at a well ventilated place preferably with an AC because mosquitoes seem to like hot temperatures. And yes, you can never be too careful so always have a repellent on hand.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

When you go to a climate like India as got though, I don't think there's much you can do apart from take the necessary precautions to protect yourself from the insects.

While it might be easier said than done, and especially for a person that isn't used to it, it's just something that you simply have to put up with.

7. tgthewriter1

tgthewriter1 New Member

Mosquitoes can bite through light fabric. If you wear jeans and leather, you shouldn’t have a problem with mosquitoes. However, some mosquitoes are bigger then the small size. So, I can say that leather will protect you from all types of mosquitoes. But, if you jog instead of walk there is a good chance you won’t get bit. Buy some bug spray and you will be fine.

8. tabby

tabby Member

I'm a mosquito target myself. Everyone's right, if mosquitoes can find an exposed skin, they're likely to do so. While not 100% foolproof one of the things that can be done to avoid is to NOT wear dark clothes. Apparently, mosquitoes are attracted to dark clothes. Wearing light-colored materials may not ward off mosquitoes, but at least you won't be getting their attention as much.
    Being in the move also helps, and stay away from dark areas.

9. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

They'll bite you in any exposed part of your skin that's for sure. Let the repellents rain, I say you can't always wear thick clothes especially if it's hot outside. You can wear light long sleeves if it's really a bother and wear a hat and bring a fan as well to battle the heat.

10. Eminrac

Eminrac New Member

Always wear repellent to combat the mosquito bites. I don't recommend long clothing because you will get heat exhaustion, haha! Interesting to hear that mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors, I wonder why that is? Perhaps it reminds them of some sort of animal? I would like to know more about that because I'm always wearing dark clothes, black being my favorite color. But if it attracts mosquitos, then I should probably change my wardrobe next time I go.

11. Normad

Normad New Member

Yes mosquitoes can bite through thin layers of clothing. Sometimes even when you cover up your entire body in thick layers of clothes, they will still target your face and neck, so really the best thing I think you can do is just to use a really good mosquito repellent at all times, especially when the heat prevents you from piling on the thick clothing.