Cities to visit in India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Gupra1989, May 19, 2017.

1. Gupra1989

Gupra1989 New Member

My brother and I have 6 months free until we go and start our job. We are very keen travelers and would like to travel within India first and explore some of the cities.

As the time we have is very valuable we want it spent wisely and would like to know what cities to visit in India.
    I am not sure what we are looking for when visiting a city but it would be good to visit the famous cities which have some to offer like famous places to visit etc.

2. adrklkol

adrklkol Member

Where do you want to go in this summer, except the hills?

3. Akshay185

Akshay185 New Member

There are lot of cities which you should visit here in India.

For the Period Of June - September : I will say you can plan for west India in rainy season. Where you will experience beautiful waterfalls and other scenic sights.
    Cities: Mumbai, Pune

From September to January you can move towards south India including Goa. As Beaches are closed in Rainy season and hot in summer.
    Cities: Goa, Banglore, Ooty, Kodaicannel, Triventrum

January to May is the duration where you can visit North India as in winter the cold is almost unbearable and mostly roads and activities are closed due to heavy snow fall.
    Cities: Pachmadi, Leh Laddakh, Manali, Dehradun, etc.

There are other cities which has their own significance:
    Jaipur, Ahemdabad, Indore, Kanpur, Hydrabad, Kolkata, Haridwar, Mathura & many more

4. iamawriter

iamawriter Member

Six months is a long time and you will surely get to see a lot of this vast country.

Coorg in Karnataka will give you a great experience of wild life and nature - You can absorb everything there in 15 days
    Beaches in Goa cannot be ignored. There is so much out there in Goa for you to enjoy. There are countless beaches with a personality of their own. Then there is the waterfall, a Mandovi River boat ride. Just spending time at the beach frolicking and even taking part in water sports will see you spending at least 15 days in Goa
    Up in the North you have Delhi, Agra, Jaipur and Udaipur - You could reserve another 15 days to cover these places
    Kulu/Manali - an experience to be with nature and a conducive climate is what will wait for you here. That will take another of your 15 days.
    Kashmir will give you an opportunity to see the most beautiful gardens in India with snow for company. If you are good at skiing this is the right place for you. 15 days will not be enough.
    Darjeeling is a laid back State and here you will be greeted by mountains and possibly a plane ride to watch the Himalayas closely. Never miss a chance to see the sunrise from Tiger Hill. You may have to visit that place a couple of times or more as clouds may come in your way.
    Then there are those places where history abounds - Kolkata, Mysore, Ajantha/Ellora Caves in Maharashtra, Hampi in Karnataka, Khajuraho in Madhya Pradesh You cannot miss that forest created by a single Banyan Tree in Kolkata - an ideal picnic spot.

These are a few ideas. You can chop and change to suit your interests.

5. Meenakshi3107

Meenakshi3107 New Member

First of all,I would like to appreciate your decision to travel, as it is not only relaxing but also it feeds your soul.

Coming to the best place to feed your soul, I think the best destination is Darjeeling in West Bengal. It lies 6,700 ft above sea level and it is commonly called as "Queen of Himalayas". Darjeeling is an ecstatic place where it gives visual treat to our eyes. The scenic beauty can be found nowhere other than Darjeeling. One can get to see the clouds pass by near you which is surreal. There are so many places in Darjeeling to visit - especially Tiger Hills, where you can see the gorgeous beauty of sun rising from the intersection of two mountain ranges. Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Tenzing Hill, Tea Estate are the other places that should not be missed.

Hope this helps.

6. adrklkol

adrklkol Member

Darjeeling and surroundings are still disturbed due to ongoing agitation and not advisable, I would suggest.

7. Karan

Karan Member

Some other cities I would like to add to the list are Kolkata, Allapuzha, Khajuraho, Hampi, Pondicherry, and Chennai.

I have been to these cities which is why I am recommending them and if it fits in your schedule do try to visit these cities, as they are worth going to.