Cruises Vs. Hotels - Or Both?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Antonr5860, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Antonr5860

Antonr5860 New Member

Cruises and hotels do often have a different purposes, however, the decision between them is still openly discussed when you're going on holiday. Do you prefer the views and convenience of a cruise ships or do you like to be in the middle of everything in a hotel?

Paulmurugan likes this.

2. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I would think most cruises would not provide enough time to truly sample India's culture. The short port-time would severely limit the experience. I understand there are great coastal views, but much more is to be gained by spending time in the cities, by trekking in land. A cruise works for many other destinations, but I do not think it is the best fit for India.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would have to say that I avoid cruises at all costs. I have really heard enough stories about them and enough negative reviews where I have decided to put a hard pass on them. I also agree with some of the users above that if you are really interested in experiencing the Indian culture than a cruise would just not get the job done.

4. JusApee

JusApee New Member

I will go for the hotel, because in order to be able to look around and see what I want to see of India, I should be able to leave the vecinity of the hotel, while you can't actually do that on a cruise. I can say that by being on a cruise you're stuck on something you can actually do just as well in Europe and US, you're not fully experiencing the Indian air.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

Personally I prefer the hotel to a cruise ship as I've stated at both in the past so can compare. While the cruise ship was an enjoyable experience, I did find that being stuck on the boat in between ports was a little too constrained for my liking.

I found that staying in an hotel, you could at least go out and explore different areas around you whereas on the ship you can't do that.

6. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Well, if you love the peace of the ocean and the nice breeze on your face, then you should definitely book a cruise, but if you don't want to be sea sick most of your vacation, and would rather stay on dry land, then hotels are definitely the right choice. If you're on a cruise, you can't see that much besides the sea and the rooms on board the ship, so there's really not a lot of memories to be made. With hotels, you can see landmarks, which could be a lot more fun than just being at sea for your trip.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

While to some extent I agree, and that's the reason I'm not a fan of cruises either, I think a lot also depends on where the cruise actually is though.

If the waters are in a calm region and there are plenty of stops then a cruise could be an enjoyable vacation for some people.

8. JaiPatra

JaiPatra New Member

You can not compare the two, as both have their perks, luxuries, and experiences. But I do say that you should always try both, which is the best thing, then you can get the good of both worlds :)
    I think another factor which makes a difference is a type of cruise you go on and the company you choose, as service does matter.

pwarbi likes this.
  9. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

As you say, if you've never been yourself it's always worth trying something new at least once, and going on a cruise is no different.

I've been on one, it was better than I thought it would be and I'm glad I tried it, but I'm definitely more of an hotel and dry land kind of guy.

10. tabby

tabby Member

I have never been on a cruise before. But I should like to be in one. Although off the top of my head, I'll definitely go with a hotel. My personality is of someone who wants to control her own schedule. So, being on a cruise will limit the control factor. Of course I understand that cruises do offer a wide range of activities including port calls. Port calls may give you the experience of being on land, but that surely doesn't give you enough free time to explore the many wonderful places of India. There is also little room to change your mind. You definitely can't change your itinerary at the last minute when you're in a cruise. Who would do that especially if you're in the middle of the ocean! Unlike in hotels, if you think the place doesn't appeal to you, you can easily check-out from your hotel, hop on bus, train, or plane to search for your next adventure.

11. Normad

Normad New Member

Given a choice between the two, it's a hotel for me every time. I went on a cruise once for seven days, and although it was one of the best holidays I've ever had, it kind of got a little boring and monotonous toward the end because by now I had seen everything there was to see and I yearned to experience something different. There are a wide range of activities on a cruise, but not all of them would interest one person, so there is the potential of getting bored with doing the same things over and over.

12. MissT

MissT New Member

I've been on both and I think that hotels trump cruises every time. A cruise is only exciting for the first few days, and then everything tends to become routine. ONce you've been everywhere and seen everything and experienced what they have to offer on board, then you start to yearn for the freedom of being able to explore wide open spaces.

13. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

For all my travels I have never been on a cruise and believe me it's on my wishlist. A friend of mine that's worked on cruise tells me they serve a buffet for the whole duration of your trip and there are a lot of games and activities for everyone. There's also a pool and entertainment centers in certain cruises so you'll never get bored and you get to leave the ship for a day or two to explore the ports, a hotel doesn't have that convenience and travel perks.

14. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

Does anyone have any information about how to get a job on a cruise ship with routes through/around India? I am really interested in going to India and have actually been planning a trip in the last little while. But it is all easier said then done, financially speaking. If I could find some way to work while seeing the country, my bank account wouldn't take such a hit. A cruise seems like a great way to do this! But I would probably be only one unremarkable applicant among a sea of more experienced competitors.

15. Cwebster

Cwebster New Member

Each provides a different experience, I really love a stay in a cruise, but it's more expensive

adrklkol likes this.
  16. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Member

I still have to experience a cruise although we had several invitations before. We often travel that's why cruise companies may have listed us as a prospective client. I have considered a cruise before but when we saw the cost, it is exorbitant for us because we don't splurge in our travels. In fact, we only buy plane tickets when there is a sale. But I admit that I also want to experience a cruise someday, maybe a week in a luxury ship is a nice holiday idea.

adrklkol likes this.
  17. adrklkol

adrklkol Member

We don't experience much from INDIA..