Honeymoon in Himachal

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by AshishPal, Mar 13, 2015.

1. AshishPal

AshishPal New Member

Hi people

I am thinking to visit Dharamshala in Himachal for my honeymoon. This is what I have decided so far, please help me with your tips and suggestions:

Month of visit: July
    Duration: 9-10 days
    Itinirary: Delhi-Dharamshala-Mcleodganj-Shimla-Delhi
    Mode of transport: Taxi or self-driven car
    Plan: Spend the first few days in Dharamshala and Mcleodganj to enjoy adventure sports and 2-3 days in Shimla for shopping and to relax.

My questions to you:
    1. Are 9-10 days enough to see and enjoy all the 3 spots in Himachal.
    2. Any other place near Shimla where we can go to chill and relax.
    3. Can we expect snow anywhere nearby or at least good view of snow covered mountains.
    4. What is the average cost of hotels in these areas.
    5. What are the current rates for car hire, we will start our trip from New Delhi.

I hope you all can help me to visit some amazing places for my honeymoon.

Thanks,
    Ashish

2. Prits

Prits Member

I would not really suggest Dharamshala or Mcleodganj as these are not really the honeymoon type of destinations according to me, although you can still fit these in for a days visit. Instead I would suggest you visit Manali, Kufri or Kasauli.
    As there would be 2-3 destinations I would recommend the duration of the trip to be 14 days. I think there are some places in Manali or Shimla where you would be able to see snow but can not guarantee it.
    June is a peak season so tariff for hotels would be high and on average price for a decent hotel would start from Rs1500 per night.

3. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

It is certainly possible to visit all these three destinations in 10 days' time. I would recommend at least 3 days in Dharamshala, 2 days in Mcleodganj and lastly, 3 days in Shimla. The remaining days can be allocated for travel time and buffer day.

The distance between Dharamshala and Mcleodganj is just about 5 kms so you can reach it in a few minutes. The distance between Mcleodganj and Shimla is about 245 kms so it can take about 6 to 8 hours to reach the latter.

When it comes to sightseeing, you can cover most tourist attractions in 2 to 3 days for each of the destination.

Here's a few places you can visit very near Shimla:

1. Mashobra. This is about 6 kms from Shimla. A picturesque little town very near Shimla, visit the following attractions here:
    • Bandochy. This is the summer residence of the famous actress Waheeda Rehman. It's a great place to relax and chill as the views are amazing and the atmosphere is very serene.
    • Dane's Folly. This is the summer residence of the Punjab Governor. This has picturesque views as well especially during the sunset.
    • St. Crispin's Church. A great place for self-introspection and tranquility.
    2. Kufri. This is about 7 kms from Shimla. A great town for honeymoon couples as it has a cold climate and beautiful views of the mountains. Attractions here are:
    • Kufri Zoo. The Himalayan Monal, the National Bird of Himachal Pradesh, can be found here.
    • Hip Hip Hurray Amusement Park. A great place to have some fun, even couples can try out the rides here.
    3. Chail. This is about 15 kms from Shimla. It's one of the lesser crowded destinations in Himachal Pradesh but the good thing is, there's lots that you can explore and enjoy here like:
    • Chail Wildlife Sanctuary. Home to different species of animals, this is a great place to be at one with nature.
    • Chail Palace. There's even some cottages here where you can stay for the night and enjoy the serenity at the place along with the beautiful view of the valley.
    • Kali Ka Tibba. A temple dedicated to Goddess Kali located on top of a hill.
    4. Solan. This is about 21 kms from Shimla. Surrounded by forest, hills and mountains, you can imagine how beautiful the views are from here. Places to visit are:
    • Shoolini Mata Temple. One of the most famous attractions in the town dedicated to Shoolini Mata.
    • Nalagarh Valley. View the Himalayas on one side and the Shivalik on the other side.
    You can expect snow in higher altitude places but on the lower ones, you won't find snow. Otherwise, just visit Rohtang Pass or Snow Point in Manali for snow. Some further places are Narkanda and Kufri, where you'll find a good amount of snow.

You would still see snow-capped mountains though. That's an attraction that's all year round.

Hotel rates vary:

1. In Dharamshala, here's some hotel rates I was able to find:
    • Lowest hotel rate: Himgiri Resort at Rs. 1,120
    • Most expensive hotel rate: Fortune Park Moksha at Rs. 8,500
    2. In Mcleodganj, here's some hotel rates I was able to find:
    • Lowest hotel rate: Hotel Bhagsu at Rs. 1,5oo
    • Most expensive hotel rate: Bella Heights at Rs. 7,000
    3. In Shimla, here's some hotel rates I was able to find:
    • Lowest hotel rate: Hotel Ganga at Rs. 1,5oo
    • Most expensive hotel rate: The Oberoi Cecil at Rs. 14,000
    Here's a few rates I was able to find:

1. Taxi Co.