How safe is Jaisalmer for an American tourists

Discussion in 'Rajasthan' started by ethanlloyd, Jan 4, 2015.

1. ethanlloyd

ethanlloyd New Member

Hi

My friend and I are on a month long India tour and we were just arguing about our stopover in Jaisalmer, my friends think it's very near to the Pakistan border and it's not really a safe area to venture. I understand his safety concerns, but as Jaisalmer is in India so I think it is totally alright, please correct me if I am wrong.

Ethan.

2. Aadi

Aadi Member

Hi Ethan

Your friend and you need not to worry about your safety and security in the Jaisalmer area as it is in India and not in Pakistan. The nearest Pakistan border from Jaisalmer city is around 100 kms away and you will see many military establishments and trucks near international borders. Jaisalmer fort is one of the must visit place in Rajasthan.

3. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

I have been there twice and have stayed there for 10-12 days in the month of October, it's totally safe and if you are going to Jaisalmer then do not forget to go for a camel safari to see sand dunes and sunset at Thar Desert.

4. ethanlloyd

ethanlloyd New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, how much time is required for sightseeing and city tour?

5. Rumikhan

Rumikhan New Member

Total area of Jaisalmer fort is around 5 sq. km. so you need one full day to cover fort and after that day for camel safari, so I think minimum 2 days are required.

6. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Jaisalmer is as safe as any other tourist destination in Rajasthan. Plenty of tourists go there every year.

7. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome to the forum!

From Jaisalmer, the Pakistan border is about 343 kms away or about 6 hours away. However, even if it's quite near the border, visitors like tourists and locals aren't allowed to wander around it. There is also military base just close enough to the border. You don't need to worry though, they're just there to protect the city and its people. There are many safe borders in India and we can consider the Jaisalmer-Pakistan border as one of them.

I would suggest to allot at least 3 nights and 3 days for visiting Jaisalmer. The 2 nights and 2 days can be spent in the city and you can have your hotel there. Then, the 1 day and 1 night should be spent in the Desert Camps. I think experiencing an overnight stay in the desert is a must and very much worth it. I think a trip to Jaisalmer just won't be complete without it.

I hope this helps!

Admin likes this.