How To Reach Kedarnath From Badrinath?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Amit Mangla, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Amit Mangla

Amit Mangla New Member

I am taking my parents to Badrinath and I believe that Kedarnath is not too far from there, so I was thinking of taking my parents to Kedarnath as well.

I would like to know how to reach Kedarnath from Badrinath?

What is the easiest and suitable way to reach Kedarnath from Badrinath?

How long will the journey from Badrinath to Kedarnath take?

2. Deven

Deven Member

Kedarnath and Badrinath are both part of the Chota Char Dham pilgrimage circuit, but they are not as close together as you might think. While the aerial distance between the two is only about 41 kilometers, there are no direct roads connecting them. The mountainous terrain necessitates traveling a much longer distance by road. Here's how to reach Kedarnath from Badrinath:

Easiest and most suitable way:

The easiest and most suitable way to reach Kedarnath from Badrinath is by taxi. You can hire a taxi from Badrinath that will take you to Sonprayag or Gaurikund, which are the starting points for the trek to Kedarnath. The journey by taxi will take approximately 7-8 hours, depending on road conditions and traffic.

Other ways:

Helicopter: If your budget allows and depending on the availability during the season, you can consider a helicopter service to Kedarnath. This is the fastest way to get between the two places, but it is also the most expensive.

Trek: An adventurous option for the fit and young is to trek from Badrinath to Kedarnath. This trek is moderately difficult and takes about 4-5 days. However, it's important to note that this trek is not recommended for everyone, especially senior citizens, due to the high altitude and challenging terrain.

Considerations for your parents:

While Kedarnath is a beautiful place, the trek to reach the temple can be strenuous, especially for older adults. Here are some things to consider when making your decision:

Physical fitness: The trek to Kedarnath involves walking uphill for about 16 kilometers. It's important to be in good physical condition to undertake this trek.

Age and health: If your parents have any health conditions or mobility issues, the trek may not be advisable.

Time of year: The best time to visit Kedarnath is during the summer months (May to June) when the weather is clear and the trails are snow-free. However, this is also the peak season, so it can be crowded.

I hope this information helps you decide whether to include Kedarnath in your itinerary and choose the most suitable mode of transportation for your parents.