Kishtwar Kailash Road

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by amelia88, Oct 21, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I was watching a TV show recently about dangerous roads, and this particular road, Kishtwar Kailash Road in Jammu was mentioned.

The footage they had of it was incredible, I'll have to see if I can find a picture online or something. It was like the road was literally carved into a precarious cliff face.

Has anyone braved this road? I'm so curious about it now!

Admin likes this.

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

dangerous road.jpg

Hopefully, the picture works! How scary does that look!!

Admin likes this.

3. sillyllucy

sillyllucy Member

Wow! I am getting anxious just looking at that picture. How do those people do it? I would fear for my life. It is one thing to be a good driver, but you have to trust that the person behind you will not hit you or get anxious while they are there. What if a car breaks down? Scary!

4. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Oh yikes! I had only thought about the possibility of sliding off the edge (super frightening!!) but hadn't even thought about if someone's vehicle broke down! Then everyone is completely stuck and there's nowhere to go and move the car out of the way to!

Even more reason that I think I would be too nervous to ever travel on that road!

5. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

If you like such scary roads like Kishtwar to Kailash road, you would love the Manali to Leh highway even more due to the excellent views you get on the way. Manali Leh highway is not open right now but it will in days to come and those people who have been including me will tell you there is no other road worthy of comparison for its scenic beauty and difficulty at the same time.

amelia88 likes this.
  6. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

Sounds like it would be right up my alley for something I would love to do on my trip. I've done a couple of other major 'world class' road trips, such as the Pacific Coast Highway in the USA and the Great Ocean Road in Australia - I would love to add more epic road trips to my list! From what I have seen in pictures the Manali to Leh highway seems like it would certainly fit the description of being epic!

Why was the highway closed, just out of curiosity?

7. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Manali Leh road remains closed in winters due to snow. Every year snow is cleared by this time of the year so it should be declared open in a day or two as just one mountain pass needs to be cleared.

amelia88 likes this.
  8. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I remember stumbling upon the most dangerous roads in India and Kishtwar Kailash is included in that list. The roads can be extremely scary seeing that it has no guard rail or secured edging for about a hundred miles, add to that the wind and the narrow paths.

And it doesn't help seeing that below are valleys, not water. The roads aren't paved, you'll encounter gravel, rocks and sand along the way. It's definitely not for the faint-hearted, even the most experienced drivers would have a hard time navigating through it.

Imagine if two cars are to meet in that steep area, one have to reverse in order to give way for the other. And that reverse can be even more dangerous than moving forward. And what if it suddenly rained or you get sudden strong winds... I can only imagine the fears of those who have braved these roads. The rocks hanging in front of your way hinders you from seeing incoming cars as well, it only makes the roads more risky and dangerous.

To be honest, I would love to one day try this road. I won't be driving though, my husband will be, he's a great driver. I know if I did the driving, we might as well jump into the cliff. Hahahaha! Yes, that's how terrible I am with driving. And I think my husband would love this challenge as well... I need to show him this picture tomorrow. Lol.

9. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I would be leaving the driving to someone else, too! I mean I'm an okay driver, but I know my limitations! And I think I would prefer someone driving who was a lot more calm under pressure than I am!