Leh Road Trip In May

Discussion in 'Travel Partners' started by jignesh, Apr 15, 2016.

1. jignesh

jignesh New Member

Hi am planning roadtrip to leh from Mumbai, I will be taking my jeep (thar). I would like to join group or a travel partner. I am waiting for the route to open manali to leh. Whole trip will be of minium 21days. Coz I want to cover many places in leh. All lakes, passes n valleys.

Chahal likes this.

2. Talking Monkey

Talking Monkey New Member

You would get more responses if you mentioned dates and itinerary.

3. jignesh

jignesh New Member

I am waiting for road to open, apporx date will be around 10th may. To start journey from Mumbai

4. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

Via Manali or Srinagar?

5. jignesh

jignesh New Member

Via manali but it depends on road status....

6. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

Thats the best route but in my opinion it is best to go via Srinagar and come back via Manali. This is a good way to avoid AMS as Srinagar roads are not as steep as the Manali route, you get to climb slowly via Srinagar route but Manali - Leh high way is like a cannon ball, straight up and you spend a lot of time higher up in the passes.

7. Harmandeep Singh

Harmandeep Singh New Member

Manali route will be open 1st or 2nd week of June.

8. jignesh

jignesh New Member

You can't judge about dates at all, it just depends on weather.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2016
  9. jignesh

jignesh New Member

But staying in keylong might help dealing wid ams?

10. Tanmaya

Tanmaya Member

I personally dont have problems with higher altitude but most people I know get some degree of headaches going via Manali route. Staying at Keylong will help ofcourse but the problem is the ascent on this route is so steep at places that you are bound to feel some level of AMS one way or the other but Srinagar route is pretty good in this respect due to very gradual ascent. There is also an added benefit of going via one route and coming back using the other that you get a chance to see both the highways and on Srinagar route you could see places like Sonmarg and Kargil as well besides plenty of other places provided you have time for all that. Make it a long trip.

11. Harmandeep Singh

Harmandeep Singh New Member

agree with tanmya...i also perfer go from srinagar side & come via manali

12. jignesh

jignesh New Member

Thanks, but I m Goin for the 1St time so can you suggest itineraries. M planning for 18 days in leh.

13. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

That's I think pretty brave of you, I don't think I can ask people online that I don't know to accompany me for a trip. I hope it turns out well for you, because as fickle as friends go when it comes to travel, it's even more so when it comes to people online. People's minds change, especially if they do not know the person on the other side of the monitor, and you are asking them to spend time with you on a foreign land. Just be sure that your companions are legit to avoid any problems in the future.