Mawlynnong, Meghalaya

Discussion in 'Meghalaya' started by amelia88, Apr 11, 2016.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I'm wondering if anyone has been to this town?

I was reading an article about it online, and apparently it was voted Asia's cleanest village (I'm not sure when, as the article didn't mention a date). But it also said it was a great place for nature - it seemed to look great from pictures!

I just don't know whether or not I'll be able to fit it into my itinerary - if anyone has been there I'm wondering if you could give me a bit of a run down about things that are there to do or see, or even nearby that I could see?

Also if you have any accommodation recommendations there, that could help me out too!

2. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello!

In Mawlynnong itself, there's not much to do except admire the way of life of the Khasis and of course, nature itself. There are some attractions here though, like:
    • Root Bridges - These are bridges made out of the roots of living tree. One of these bridges would lead you to the neighbouring town of Riwai. There's also another one in Wahthyllong, which is quite an amazing root bridge over a river.
    • Stone Pathways or King's Way - These stone pathways connect the Khasi villages to one another. You can find them all over Mawlynnong.
    • Root Ladders - You can find these in some places across Mawlynnong, although they're not as easily spotted unlike the root bridges. Still, they're an amazing sight to behold, as they're as intricate as a real ladder with the roots intertwining as steps.
    • Natural Balancing Rock - You can find this in Riwai, this is a natural phenomenon of a boulder balancing on another rock.
    • Sky Watch - This is an 85-feet high bamboo structure offering picturesque views of Bangladesh and the village itself.
    • Mawlynnong Waterfall - Just after monsoon season, the water in the falls transform into a spectacle. Around the falls are orchids offering colourful views to the surroundings.
    Then, some places just near Mawlynnong are:

1. Shillong. This is just about 90 kms from Mawlynnong. This is the capital of Meghalaya. Some attractions here are:
    • Shillong Peak - This is about 1,960 metres above sea level. At its peak, you can see the waterfalls, Bangladesh plains and even the Himalayan mountains.
    • Laitlum Canyons - Trekkers would have a blast with the trek to reach the canyons. From the peak, you can see a panoramic view of the hills and valleys below.
    • Elephant Falls - There used to be a stone here resembling an elephant, however it was destroyed in an earthquake. Still, it's a must to visit this three-steps waterfalls with beautiful cascading water.
    2. Cherrapunjee. This is just about 92 kms from Mawlynnong. Considered as one of the wettest places on Earth, it's a must to visit this town in Meghalaya. Some attractions here are:
    • Nohkalikai Falls - Being the highest waterfall in India and being the fourth highest in the world, you cannot pass the opportunity to visit the Nohkalikai Falls. In the winter, the water from the falls is bluish and in the summer, it's greenish.
    • Mawsmai Cave - Traverse through narrow pathways in the dark, nothing can be more exciting than that!
    • Nohsngithiang Falls - This is the fourth highest waterfall in India. Another name for it is Seven Sister Falls, as seven streams of water falls from the plateau.
    Some accommodations in Mawlynnong are:
    • Sky View Point - This guest house has one room with two single beds and one room with a single bed. Tariff is Rs. 1,500 to Rs. 2,000 per night. Renting the whole cottage costs Rs. 3,000 per night. Contact number is: +91 8575615877.
    • Bangladesh View Homestay - They have two rooms with a double bed for each one. Tariff is Rs. 2,000 per night for one room. Contact number is: +91 9615386060.
    • Ha La Rympei - They have two rooms, each have double beds. Tariff is Rs. 1,500 per room per one night. Their contact number is: +91 9615823660.
    • Epiphany Society Guest House - They have two rooms each with a double bed. Tariff is Rs. 3,000 per night. Their contact number is: +91 9856939465.
    You'd have to contact their numbers as online booking for rooms isn't available. These are basic rooms as well with just basic amenities. They will do though for a short stay in Mawlynnong.

I hope this helps!