Monkeys in Varanasi

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by OntarioMan, Dec 1, 2014.

1. OntarioMan

OntarioMan New Member

I know there are many money temples and thousands of monkeys there in Varanasi so I am just concerned about my safety. Are these monkeys friendly like those I saw in Old Delhi or they are more aggressive. Do you think feeding them or offering food to monkeys in temples or on road side is OK or not?

Other day I visited Connaught Place and found many monkeys there but all were just alright and they didn't want to bother anyone so is it same in Varansi too?

2. DhongiBaba

DhongiBaba Active Member

Those monkeys are used to of human presence and do not bother people unless you bother them or they find out you have something to eat in the bag you are carrying.

3. ChaiNashta

ChaiNashta Active Member

Those monkeys are not vaccinated and a bite lead to many things and a lot of time in the hospital. Normally they do not attack but I am very scared of them and usually keep my distance. It is a matter of individual preference/choice.

4. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Monkeys in temples are not aggressive unless provoked. Feeding them is never a problem as long as you just leave the stuff there and don't expect them to come feed from your hand. Some people do get bitten but it is mostly due to their own mistakes.

5. Bholae Nath

Bholae Nath New Member

Hi

There are 2 types of monkeys in India
    1. Brown Monkey (Rhesus macaque)
    Rhesus macaque.jpg

2. Hanuman Langoor (Gray langur)
    Grey Languer.JPG

If you will not bother brown monkeys then they will not bother you, just remember not to eat anything in front of them and if by any chance any monkey comes near to you do not panic, do not run and do not try to scare them off. Just keep walking and they will also make their way.

Hanuman Langoor usually likes to stay away from humans and never troubles anyone unless it is intentionally provoked.

So just enjoy your time in Varanasi and don't be scared of monkeys, they will not harm you.

6. OntarioMan

OntarioMan New Member

Thanks for your valuable suggestions, so I think these monkeys are exactly the same as monkeys in Delhi. Would that be OK if I carry my water bottle and snacks in a small handbag or a backpack as I do here in Delhi

7. Bholae Nath

Bholae Nath New Member

It's better if you carry a backpack and keep you stuff inside it, I will not suggest you to expose any eatable to monkeys. These monkeys are very smart and they can smell what you have in your hands, no matter even if its inside a box.
    As I stated above they will not bother you if you will not bother them so just keep your stuff in your backpack and roam around, you will not be troubled at all (telling your from my personal experience).

8. Gori Bride

Gori Bride Member

I have been to Varanasi twice and the only caution I would suggest is not carrying food with you because that's the only thing those monkeys are after and if you have something of interest to them you may be surprised how aggressive they would get to get hold of whatever it is. Other then that you don't need to worry about those monkeys because they are very used to of human presence and don't bother anyone unless you bother them.