Mosquitoes?

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by jnorth88, Apr 4, 2016.

1. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

I have limited experience in the camping and wilderness areas of India, and I am wondering if there are mosquitoes to deal with? If I plan on going out into the forest, should I bring some deet or other repellents?

2. knitmehere

knitmehere Member

From what I remember, there are always tons of mosquitoes. Even if you weren't camping, I would suggest some type of repellent.

3. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Asia is pretty tropical, the humidity can be harsh sometimes added with the fact flies and mosquitoes often pollute the sewage and pools. Bringing a repellent is always good advice especially if the destination you're going to is conducive to those environments.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

It's definitely more practical to bring in some insect repellant. India is a very tropical country like mine and mosquitoes love breeding in such places. Usually, mosquitoes are rampant during the early morning and early evening. So as much as you can, try spraying in some anti-mosquito lotions before going out in these times. If you're going camping, it's wise to dress in long-sleeve shirts and pants.

There are other options like coils which you lit and can repel mosquitoes. But it's a bit of a fire hazard if left on its own. Then there are electric mosquito killers which you cannot bring in camping sites. Your other option would have to be mosquito nets which are quite effective in repelling mosquitoes.

Good luck!

5. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

How much does repellent cost in India? Is it worth it to bring my own, of just buy some locally?

6. CaptainOblivious

CaptainOblivious New Member

@jnorth88 Repellant doesn't cost much and can be procured cheaply. However if you have any allergies, you may want to bring a brand of your own that you have tested out first.

Unrelated but interesting: Applying a warm spoon to a mosquito bite stops the itch (It denatures the chemical that causes the itch). Just something that can be very relevant when you are camping.

7. Destiny

Destiny Member

Yes!!! Some places in India have horrid mosquito problems! It's very important to make sure you wear repellent and have your vaccinations before travelling to India. Remember, it's a third world country and its easy to catch all kinds of diseases from the mosquito population there.

8. Maja

Maja Member

You will find a lot of mosquitoes in any tropical country. You better bring repellents with you like off lotions, or you can wear wrist bands. You can also apply lemon eucalyptus oil or cinnamon oil. Just make sure that you are not allergic to them. It also helps to wear clothes with long sleeves, and pants or leggings to cover most parts of your body.

9. integrity101

integrity101 Member

Mosquitoes thrive well in hot and humid climates, such as India. So if you are planning an outdoor or camping trip, carry along enough insect repellent and a mosquito net. You'll thank yourself when the little buzzards swarm in.

10. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Mosquitoes are everywhere near the water. I am pretty sure India has a lot of mosquitoes since they have so much rain. The danger is greater now with all these new diseases that they bring along. Mosquitoes are the most prolific killers in the history of mankind. I would go prepared there with whatever you use against them. Even if you are told that it is not necessary you should just bring something.

11. martinearletara

martinearletara New Member

You're strongly advised to bring a few bottles of insect repellent. Mosquitoes are very common in India and they could potentially carry disease in humid conditions. This is especially true during the monsoon season. You should definitely take extra precaution.

12. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

Yup, make sure to bring lots of repellents, wear long sleeves during the afternoon (and avoid areas where they fester), before you leave your own country be sure to get your shots first, vaccinations, and in worst case scenario, be sure to have quick access to your medical records in the event you may end up at the hospital for a tropical illness from insect bites.

13. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The climate in India is made for mosquitoes so even if you're not going camping I'd still bring some repellents with you.

Failing that there will be places in india to buy them from and in fact that might be the better option as they'll probably be cheaper, and not only that, some airlines these days will make you pack those items in your luggage and you're not allowed them as hand luggage like before. Not a big deal you might think, until the bottles of repellent leak or burst all over your clothes!

14. integrity101

integrity101 Member

With the new threat of Zika virus which is spread by mosquitoes, I wouldn't advise you to travel without the necessary protection such as a strong insect repellent or even a mosquito net if you plan to camp outdoors. By the way, Zika is at present in South America but may soon spread to other parts of the world.

15. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

The Zuma virus, even though at the moment has quietened down, could still affect any part of the world like you say.

The thing is though, there's enough protection from mosquito's to stop people from contracting it, it's just the fact that some people don't, or won't use it that's putting them at risk.

16. MissT

MissT New Member

I'd advise you to invest in the best quality mosquito repellent that you can afford, and make sure to pack lots of it. The clothes can protect you up to a certain point, but even when you cover yourself up properly you still leave your face and neck vulnerable. So repellent is your best bet.

17. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well they were pretty bad where we were, and we were not as prepared as we should have been. I remember being extra frustrated with everyone too because this was something that we knew about beforehand. We knew what we were getting ourselves into and we still did not prepare enough, all in the name of saving space too. Oh well, you live and you learn, and you share with others so they do not make the same mistakes. So, don't make the same mistake.

18. EdmondE

EdmondE New Member

Mosquito nets are a must. A friend of mine went on a three day trek in a national park and came down with what appeared to be malarial symptoms. He was never sure as he recovered by the time they reached a clinic, but that was his best guess as he remembers becoming ill after being bitten bitten by several mosquitoes while sleeping in his tent after forgetting to close the mosquito net flap.

19. ashley0323

ashley0323 New Member

Yes, I would definitely bring insect repellent. I traveled almost two years ago to india, and there was quite a few mosquitos.. Not to mention the whole zika virus thing, but yes, bring insect repellent with you. You'' regret it if you don't, like I did.

20. Casiox

Casiox New Member

Well, I personally think that you will find mosquitos pretty much anywhere you go nowadays, it's such an unavoidable thing unless you go to a very cold place of course, but in this case, it's a yes from me.

21. ad.mike2016

ad.mike2016 New Member

There are a few mosquito species that are native to India which carry and can spread some diseases. It is very important that you take the necessary precautions while traveling to ensure that you do not get infected with any mosquito borne illness. There are currently no known cases of Zika in India so you do not need to worry about that more than others. There are other endemic diseases such as Dengue Fever and Malaria that would definitely put a hamper on your vacation. There are a few simple steps you can take to minimize your risk of contracting a mosquito borne illness. Using bug repellent is very important, that should be your first line of defense, make sure to apply and reapply liberally. While sleeping you should sleep under a mosquito net if you are in an exposed area, this would minimize your changes of being bite in yourself. Finally wearing a fabric that is tightly woven is another good tactic, this stops the mosquito's from being able to have access to your skin through large sewing holes in your clothes. I hope this helps! Just remember to take all the possible precautions after which there is not much you can do other than enjoy your trip!

22. vkar

vkar Member

It a good idea to bring a repellent. You will probably have to deal with mosquitoes regardless of where you are in India. India is a tropical country and have a climate favorable to mosquitoes. So, you can not escape them whether you are in the wilderness or in the cities (sewage and drainage issues adds to the problem in urban areas). Anyways, I would suggest you to bring a repellent and be prepared.

23. clair02

clair02 New Member

I'm definitely bringing my favorite insect repellant on my trip. I know a lot of people suggest that you keep your skin covered but in hot weather you can only cover up so much and your face, neck and ears are still exposed anyway so I think repellant is everyone's best bet. The last thing you need is to spoil a wonderful, romantic holiday by getting sick, so use as many different ways to reduce the risk of that happening as you can.

24. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

Mosquito nets to keep the mosquitoes off your hide when you sleep and mosquito repellant lotion. Some of these lotions don't work so before buying any you have to find out if others who've used the product you want to buy found out that it actually did work. A few negative reviews should be enough to have you heading the other way looking for a better mosquito repellant.

25. Fuzyon

Fuzyon New Member

It depends on where you're planning to stay. I've been to the urban parts of India quite a lot and mosquitoes weren't a problem even in the summer time, but if you're planning to stay in a forest you may as well bring some repellent with you. What I did to get rid of mosquitoes and insects was starting a fire and leaving the smoke running over night, the smell keeps a lot of them away from your location. It's what they use for that burner repellent as well.

26. cardinals27

cardinals27 New Member

Well where I've been there are mosquitos. Good thing they don't have zika though

27. djtravels

djtravels Member

Get Malaria shots before you come. Or if you're already there, get vaccinated immediately. Also, repellents can be easily found and will help keep the mosquitoes away. If you're traveling to places where it snows though, you won't have any need for repellents. The months of Oct-Mar are perfect for traveling through the tropical parts of the country anyways. You'll not find any mosquitoes during these months.

28. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

I think that mosquitoes are everywhere in this world. Repellents can work but they are suitable for indoor uses. My friend was suggesting that one can buy a mosquito repelling petroleum jelly. I have never tried it before and don't even know it's price. A mosquito net will be the best option. You should also consider wearing long sleeved shirts to avoid mosquito bites.

29. Blue Betta

Blue Betta New Member

Bring repellent. Bring tea tree oil. Bring netting if you can, or buy it there. I would not buy these locally, because sometimes the local standards for what chemicals are safe and what aren't are not as strict as in other countries. I got horribly infected mosquito bites all over my feet, and I was sick for two months with a fever. The time you are going will also affect how bad the mosquito are. If you are going right before monsoon season, the humidity is very high and the bugs are worse.

30. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Just get a malaria shot before you come to India. That will be enough as this is the disease that haunts it most. Do not rely on repellents as these are only useful indoors. India is not the same as it used to be 50 years back and you need not worry about diseases. Even Europe and the US have more cases of Zika today than India!!! So, do not get frightened by rumors. We have a very good health system in place to take care of you.

31. Casiox

Casiox New Member

If I was a mosquito I'd never get into your ears, believe me. I know what it is like to be attacked by hundreds of misquitoes and that you're saying is a good thing to do, seems like you're the kind of person that's always prepared for anything.