Most romantic places in India

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by SMital, Aug 21, 2016.

1. SMital

SMital New Member

Hello, fellow members. I am a new member on the forum and wish to get some advice and ideas about some holidays which I wish to plan with my wife.
    We are a newly married couple and have quite a bit of time off from work, and I would like us to go places within India before we get back to the work life.

I would like to know about some of the most romantic places in India, where my wife and I can spend some quality time.

According to me, romantic places mean where there is not a lot of crowds depending on the place, a place which doesn't have a lot of children around (not that I don't like children). It would be a plus point where I can also take my wife out for a candle light dinner and just go for a stroll in the evening with her. I hope you get the idea.

2. Casiox

Casiox New Member

Well, I do not know way too much about Indian places, but I've done some research on places and that sort of thing, I will recommend you this beautiful place named Himachal Pradesh, it really looks like what you're looking for, it's going to be a special place if you're going with somebody special for you, the place has a really nice weather and the mountains make it somehow better and more beautiful.
    Best regards.

3. vkar

vkar Member

I guess most hill stations in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand can be termed as romantic. Looking eastwards, Darjeeling can be a good spot too. Shillong is another awesome place but not much of a nightlife. If you are not looking for a hill station then the Kerala backwaters can be a very romantic experience. Another good option is Andaman. It has pristine and romantic beaches that are not overcrowded like Goa or Kerala.

4. clair02

clair02 New Member

First of all, Congratulations on your nuptuals. My first trip to India is going to be on my honeymoon as well. We intend to go in March next year. I also would love to know more about the areas that are the most romantic and beautiful. Thanks for all the suggestions, I will make sure to really research and pick the one that is most likely to provide us with the best honeymoon experience.

5. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

Hello there, welcome to the forum!

Even romantic destinations are plenty in India. You have the mainstream ones like Goa, Manali and Darjeeling. These are probably the most popular honeymoon destinations in the country. Thus, it's not unusual to find crowds in these destinations. But since you're looking for something uncrowded, do consider these places I'm going to list here:

Uncrowded Romantic Destinations in India

1. Andaman and Nicobar Islands - These islands are part of the union territory of India. There are over 340 islands in the region and most of them remain unexplored. Only 38 of these islands are inhabited, some don't even allow night stays by tourists in them. The islands are connected to mainland India only by ship or flight. So even though the beaches here are pristine, tourists do not throng to the islands as much, due to its remote location and of course, the expensive way to travel to reach the islands. Add to that, most accommodation options here are of the mid-range to luxury ones. The beaches here have endless spans of white, sandy shores and clear, turquoise waters. The underwater marine life here is very rich, suitable enough for snorkelling and scuba diving. For the honeymoon couples, the beaches and islands are very secluded making them a perfect romantic getaway. Travelling from island to island requires a boat ride. There's also a wildlife sanctuary that you can visit here, called the Interview Island Wildlife Sanctuary, where some endemic species of animals in the islands can be spotted. The only mud volcanoes in the country can also be spotted here.
    • Must visit places - Port Blair, Havelock Island, Viper Island, Neil Island, Barren Island, Diglipur, Interview Island and Long Island.
    2. Jaisalmer - This city stands tall on the deserts of Thar. It's also one of the few places in India with a living fort, wherein the residents live inside the fort. Thus, you get to experience living within the fort in your short stay here. There are many heritage hotels, five-star hotels and budget hotels to fit every traveller's budget. Camping on the sand dunes of the city is also quite an experience.Thankfully, there are even luxury camps that are suitable for honeymoon couples. These luxury camps have comfortable bed, attached bathroom and even air-conditioning. During evening time, be delighted with the cultural folk shows that the management arranges for guests. Of course, a camel safari across the sand dunes is essential for truly exploring the Thar desert. A romantic dinner under the stars of the desert can also be arranged for here. The numerous ancient structures in the city are also worth visiting.
    • Must visit places - Jaisalmer Fort, Patwaon Ki Haveli, Bada Bagh, Kuldhara, Sam Sand Dunes and many more.
    3. Munnar - This hill station is located in Kerala. Because of its elevation, the hill station has a pleasant climate all-year round. It's a favourite among honeymoon couples because the cooler climate is a change from the heat of the plains. Munnar also doesn't disappoint on the natural attractions like waterfalls, tea gardens and peaks. The tea estates here produce the best of its kind in the country. And what could be better than drinking tea, freshly made and packaged, a few hours ago? Sipping a cup of tea with your loved one, while admiring the views all around, nothing can be more romantic than that.
    • Must visit places - Tea Estates, Top Station, Kundala Dam Lake, Eravikulam National Park, Lakkam Waterfalls and many more.
    4. Gulmarg - Amongst the many destinations in Jammu and Kashmir, Gulmarg is a favourite of the honeymoon couples. The meadows of this hill station are filled with beautiful flowers during spring. It's a sight to behold, especially with the misty mountain background. During winter, the hill station gets covered with snow and becomes a major skiing destination. All around the hill station, there are pine and fir trees, which add to the scenic beauty of Gulmarg. You cannot miss riding the Gulmarg Gondola, the highest ropeway in Asia. The stunning views of the snow-capped mountains right from the gondola ride is a very romantic experience in itself. Walking along the serene landscapes of the hill station can also be very romantic, whether it's summer or winter. A romantic dinner can also be arranged for in the hotels in the hill station.
    • Must visit places - Apharwat Peak, Rani Temple, Baba Reshi Shrine, Children's Park, Alpather Lake and many more.
    5. Lakshadweep - The Lakshadweep has about 39 islands, only 10 of which are inhabited. The only way to reach Lakshadweep is through sea or air. You would also need a permit to be able to access the islands. Reaching the islands can be quite difficult and even staying can be expensive. Thus, not many tourists go to Lakshadweep despite the beauty of the beaches and islands here. The most developed island is Kavaratti and you can find many hotels here. There are also some mosques that you can explore within the island. The islands of Kadmat, Kalpeni and Minicoy have excellent marine life, so scuba diving and snorkelling are must do activities in here.
    • Must visit places - Agatti Island, Karavatti Island, Kadmat Island, Kalpeni Island, Minicoy Island and Baratang Island.
    6. Khajjiar - At just about 24 kilometres away from Dalhousie, this underrated hill station is a great getaway for honeymoon couples. It's secluded but it does have scenic places that you can explore. It has often been referred to as the Mini Switzerland of India. Taking strolls around the pastures and forests of the hill station is a favourite activity of many honeymoon couples. The Dhauladhar mountain can even be spotted from this hill station. Summers see the blooming of the flowers amidst the meadows of the hill station. Winters see the thick blanket of snow, a very romantic season for couples. You can choose between guest houses and hotels for accommodation options. Romantic dinners under the stars can also be arranged for.
    • Must visit places - Khajjiar Lake, Kalatop Wildlife Sanctuary, Golden Devi Temple, Khajji Naga Temple and Shiva Statue.
    7. Alleppey - Nothing beats cruising the Alleppey backwaters in a houseboat for a romantic adventure. This city in Kerala is also known as the Venice of the East. Staying in a luxury houseboat would be a great treat for your loved one. Combine that with the tour of the backwaters and seeing the lives of the people in the villages, it can be a very rewarding experience. There are also some temples that you can visit in Alleppey. The beaches of Alleppey are also worth visiting, with their lesser crowds and clean waters. A romantic dinner in the houseboat can be arranged for, with traditional local dishes as well.
    • Must visit places - Ambalapuzha Shri Krishna Temple, Mannarasala Shri Nagaraja Temple, St. Andrew's Basilica, Alappuzha Beach, Marari Beach and many more.
    There you go. I hope this helps you even a bit.

6. arunava basu

arunava basu New Member

Come to the Lakshadweep. It is a cluster of about 20 small coral islands in the Arabian Sea and it is the perfect romantic getaway for anybody who loves the sea. Serenity, tranquility, nice people, clean atmosphere- you can get it all. Above all a boat ride in the calm blue with your partner or romancing in the serene and calm sea shore! well! anybody would write a poem in praise of his/her love and thanks Laksha for ever. You can reach Kaviratti, The capital, by air from Mumbai or Chennai or you can take a cruise from Cochin. Do not forget to go and see the coral reefs of Lakshadweep.

7. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

Kerala is one of the most beautiful places on earth. And it's because of it's beauty that I'd recommend a number of tourist destinations there as the most romantic places in India. I could be biased but visit any of these places and you most certainly won't be disappointed:

Poovar Island (perfect for honeymooning), Wayanad, Kumarakam.

I noticed that Allepey has already been mentioned. I, too believe it's one of the most romantic places in India.

8. djtravels

djtravels Member

My advice would be to stick to the main hill stations when going to hp or uttrakhand. Usually, couples go to Simla, Nainital, Mussoorie, etc. In the South, people usually visit Ooty, Coorg, etc. And in the east, they visit Darjeeling. These are well known as honeymooning destinations and are basically winter retreats.

If you're looking for more sun and sand, I would go to Daman and Diu, Port Blair, Goa, etc. There are also cruise ships so if you're looking for a romantic experience, honeymooning on a cruise seems like a unique thing to do as well.

All in all, stick to the main destinations because they have the best logistics support and well developed tourism systems. There are hidden gems across India, but I would keep them on the backburner till after because you can't really appreciate those secluded places until you visit the main destinations.