Places to visit near and around Rishikesh

Discussion in 'Uttarakhand' started by YadavG, Sep 3, 2020.

1. YadavG

YadavG New Member

I will be visiting my aunt in Rishikesh, and my visit to her will be after around 10 years. So it has been a long time since I last visited her and Rishikesh.
    My initial stay in Rishikesh will be for 1 week, but after this, I wish to explore other places. So I needed some help in finding out what places to visit near and around Rishikesh. If there is anything special to see at the particular destination please also mention that.

2. Prits

Prits Member

Rishikesh, nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas alongside the Ganges River, offers a unique blend of spiritual experiences and adventure activities. After spending a week reconnecting with your aunt, here are some captivating destinations you can explore around Rishikesh:

Spiritual Sites:

• Haridwar (28 km): A holy town where the Ganges River enters the plains. Witness the evening Ganga Aarti (river worship ceremony) - a spectacular display of lights and chants.

• Neelkanth Mahadev Temple (16 km): A revered Shiva temple perched atop a hill, offering panoramic views of the surroundings.

Adventure Activities:
    • Shivpuri (19 km): Renowned for white water rafting and kayaking on the Ganges River.
    • Rajaji National Park (43 km): Experience a thrilling jungle safari and witness diverse wildlife like elephants, tigers, and leopards
    • Bungee Jumping (Shivpuri): For the ultimate adrenaline rush, try bungee jumping over the Ganges!

Natural Beauty:
    • Vashistha Cave: A serene cave temple dedicated to sage Vashishtha, known for its natural rock formations and spiritual significance.
    • Kunjpuri Devi Temple (7 km): Trek up the Himalayas to this temple, offering breathtaking views of the Ganges valley and the surrounding mountains.

Relaxation and Yoga:
    • Camp Ganga (Shivpuri): Enjoy a luxurious camping experience along the Ganges River, perfect for relaxation and rejuvenation.

Hill Stations:
    • Mussoorie (88 km): A charming hill station known as the "Queen of the Hills," offering scenic beauty, colonial architecture, and pleasant weather.

• Dhanaulti (32 km): A lesser-known hill station nestled amidst scenic pine forests, ideal for a peaceful escape.

Cultural Delights:

• Ram Jhula and Laxman Jhula: Explore these iconic suspension bridges over the Ganges, a quintessential experience in Rishikesh. They are adorned with lights in the evenings, creating a mesmerizing sight.
    • Triveni Ghat: A sacred confluence where the Ganges, Yamuna, and Saraswati rivers are believed to meet. Participate in aarti ceremonies and experience the spiritual aura of the place.

Duration:

The time you spend at each of these places depends on your interests. You can spend a day or two at nearby destinations like Haridwar and Shivpuri, or take longer trips to explore further locations like Mussoorie or Dhanaulti.

This list provides a starting point for exploring the captivating region around Rishikesh. Enjoy your trip!