Silks In North India

Discussion in 'North India' started by paudu, Jan 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. paudu

paudu Member

After reading the extensive travel guides in this forum, I've come to the conclusion that most of the silk production occurs in South India. Unfortunately, my visit will be limited to Delhi and areas nearby. Are there any areas of North India that are known for beautiful silks?

2. Andre

Andre New Member

My wife would love to visit a silk factory. I know she wouldn't be happy if she came home without a new silk scarf. Every place we visit she has to buy herself a new scarf.

3. Andrew

Andrew New Member

Since we started planning our trip to India this is all my wife can talk about. She is dying to visit a silk factory and see how silk is made. I'm sure there has to be some sort of a tour. I have a feeling I won't have any fun until she goes to at least one silk factory.

4. Travguy

Travguy Member

Anyone would be interested to see the silks that are made in India. They are so beautiful and smooth that buying them would be the right thing to do. You can easily gift silk products to friends and family when you're back home and I am sure that they will love it.

5. George

George Member

I do agree with you. Silk is one gift that people will love. I wouldn't mind seeing how silk is made in India. I'm sure my wife would love to buy a few silk scarfs to take back home with us. Her sisters would each love one.

6. Elizabetonth

Elizabetonth Member

That's interesting that you'd come to the conclusion that it was in the South, @paudu , because the MOST famous place in India for silk is Varanasi! It's the place where, if you can afford it, you go to buy your wedding saris if you're an Indian bride. They've got lots of silk factories, and many many silk shops, and they do indeed sell absolutely beautiful things. It's not too far from Delhi, particularly by plane, so if you've got a spare day or two I highly recommend a visit. It's also a wonderful place to go in itself - the ghats are amazing, the daily ceremony that happens in the evening in honour of the Ganga River that takes place on many of the ghats along the river, the buildings, the monkeys, the cows, the tiny winding streets, the gorgeous street food, the chai that they sell in little clay cups which you then just chuck over your shoulder, the fact that there's a silk shop around almost every corner... Otherwise, I actually bought beautiful things in Jaisalmer, as well, and in Jodhpur, despite the fact that it's not particularly famous for its silk. I'm sure that even if you don't have time to go anywhere other than Delhi, you'll find beautiful silk there, too, though I don't know if you'll find a silk factory for your wife there, @Andrew .

Admin likes this.
  7. jnorth88

jnorth88 Active Member

Ha, this reminds my of a friend I went with. He bought a blue silk tuxedo. It was the ugliest thing you could imagine, but we found it hilarious. He wore it to my wedding, and we had a great laugh. Varanasi is definitely the place to go for silk.