The Most Interesting Souvenir You've Ever Bought

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chit Chat' started by amelia88, Oct 5, 2015.

1. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I like picking up little knick knacks and souvenirs as memories from my trip that I like to display in my home.

My favorite are my Japanese kokeshi dolls. I got them at a shrine sale (essentially like a flea market, but at a beautiful Japanese shrine!)

They're made of wood and beautifully painted - and I think they're quite old! Certainly not new, but the fact that they're probably antiques just makes them all the more full of character to me!

What about you? Any interesting souvenirs you've picked up on your overseas travels?

2. innaf93

innaf93 Member

I really like scarves, I think that I am one of those scarf obsessed persons, like I have numerous of them, but also getting sure that there are not any similar ones. I have a few from Greece and Croatia and souvenirs from India too, essentially they are perfect souvenirs because of the practical side, but also there is some nice cultural side, like you get a piece of that country with yourself to home.

Also maybe rings and small jewelry, I have a nice ring from Greece that I really like. It's like an anti-sadness ring, reminds me of good times.

3. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

So true about scarves being a perfect mix of practical but cultural too. Also, they're just lovely to throw in your carry on bag for the plane - I've been saved from freezing on a plane when I've had a scarf in my carry on to drape over me!

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

To be honest I very rarely bring anything back with me in the way of souvenirs. That might sound a bit mean but I never know what anybody will want, so in the end I just bring back some sweets or chocolate to share out with immediate family, everybody else can just make do with being happy I'm back! Ha!

5. innaf93

innaf93 Member

When I was a kid I traveled a lot with various dance companies around the neighbour countries and I always got some present to my parents and brother. It did not wear off at all. Now I do my MA degree abroad and everytime I go home I bring some kind of small gift. Like I was in a vacation.

Ok, most of the time just beer.

pwarbi likes this.
  6. pwarbi

pwarbi Active Member

I'm liking the beer angle! It's a much better idea than a pot towel or a fridge magnet that I usually end up with when a friend or relative goes away.

I know when they ask what I want I say anything but I want them to use at least a little imagination!

7. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

You really can't go wrong with food goodies! Everyone I know is happy if I bring back certain chocolate/candy that they've never tried before - it's quite a novelty to a lot of people! I like that element of bringing back food. Plus, in a way it's nice to bring back things that can be consumed since they don't take up space/add clutter. I'm trying more and more these days to be a minimalist with my possessions so it's good to keep in mind that food or snacks are also fun souvenirs.

8. Delirium

Delirium Member

I don't really buy souvenirs to be honest. Sometimes I'd find one that I like, but they're usually dead expensive so I back out slowly.. from the store .What I really like to bring back though, is usually soap. I'm serious. Pretty soap bottles from hotels. I just really collect them all.. I rarely use them though. I just kinda.. let them sit in my bathroom. They look pretty. I like the ones with the beads and stuff, and those with really pretty bottles or unique, distinctive scents. I also sometimes steal pens. Don't judge me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
  9. Zhen25

Zhen25 New Member

My favorite souvenir was one I bought in Grand Cayman when I visited my dad. It had turtles and iguanas on it because that's what the island is most famous for. It was just cute.

10. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Oh my goodness I have a lot of weird knick knacks from all over Asia but my most interesting one has to be the tanned hide of a toad that's stitched to look like a small purse. They still kept the frog's body shape and eyes though, it's pretty disgusting to look at but it's the best conversation starters for my parties. LOL. I also bought some Chinese fortune sticks that look like antiques back in Hong Kong. It has beautiful calligraphy written on it and it's made with bamboo.

11. freddi

freddi Member

It's a bit cheesy, but I love those little snow globes that they often sell at cheap tourist-heavy places - I have a whole shelf just full of them. They're good as souvenirs because they're pretty light to carry and usually really cheap. They just make me smile!