Things to pack for India travel

Discussion in 'Travel advice' started by Ganine, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Ganine

Ganine New Member

I would like to know this from people who have travelled in India. Apart from the normal things like clothes, toothbrush etc. What are the other things which you found useful in your trip to India? Also, do you remember of anything which you believed would be useful but didn't actually use?

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Please try to understand that you are not going to Mars and India is on the same planet where you can buy anything and everything. You may get a different brand for a particular product that you need but be assured that you will find everything you need locally. Every Indian city now has modern malls where most international products are also available.

If the world comes to an end and you cannot find something then there are online shopping sites like Amazon and Flipkart that do next day delivery for a small charge for whatever you may want so its not like going to a shop is your only option. Some may advise you that those shopping sites wont deliver to a hotel room number but that is just not correct because if you pay upfront and do not opt for cash on delivery then it is no problem atall as long as they do delivery to the destination you are staying at.

Please have a quick search on Amazon and Flipkart to make sure they do next day delivery to places you be staying at because you might choose to stay at the lousiest of towns where they don't deliver atall leave alone next day delivery and in that case take everything along beforehand.

3. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

Amazon has everything you would ever need and they are fast.

4. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

One thing I can recommend to anyone visiting India for the first time is to bring your own guide book. I just bought books online and brought them with me when I travelled to India. Actually, I always buy such books for whatever country I visit. This way, I can look up accommodations, restaurants and other places easily.

Even if you don't have an internet connection, having books can help you in case you have any questions. It will help you learn about the country as well and learn more about their culture and traditions. Here's a few books that I can recommend:

• Around India in 80 Trains
    • Never Mind the Bullocks: One Girl's 10,000 Km Adventure Around India in the World's Cheapest Car
    • Love Series of Books About India
    • Rough Guide
    Of course, a trip to India won't be complete without pictures. So you better bring your camera with you to capture the amazing sceneries in the country. Along with that, bring SD cards for your camera too as you're sure to exceed your memory with all the beautiful pictures you can take.

That being said, there's also some items not worth bringing to India. Here's a few:

• Lots of clothes. Like others have said, India has lots of markets and malls so it's quite easy to buy your clothing needs from there. Plus, there's lots of bargains when it comes to clothes so they can easily become your souvenir for yourself as well.
    • Too many toiletries. Again, they're quite easy to get a hold of in India so there's no need to bring your own as it can add weight to your luggage.
    • Valuables like jewelries and electronics.
    I hope this helps!

5. KAREN MARTIN

KAREN MARTIN New Member

The best thing to get why you're traveling to India will be of course a Travel Guide for you can know how to maneuver and get around the country! It will also be beneful for you to take something to cover your body up, because of the humidity and then any other items you can actually purchased for cheaper price in India once you get there as a unique and usual souvenir!

6. GammaRay

GammaRay Member

Here goes my unpopular opinion. Don't bring a travel guide-- like the really thick ones with outdated pictures and flowery descriptions. I suggest you go for honest-to-God blogger books or read it from your smartphone. Always have internet! Better yet plan your trip in advance and write down where you want to eat and where you want to visit based on pictures you see on the web. Read restaurant reviews in India!

7. Danny Luke

Danny Luke Member

I can name three very important things you should always bring with you when you travel to India (or anywhere in the world, for that matter).

1) A durable and secure backpack. Your backpack will be your companion throughout the trip (if you are traveling solo). All of your most important items like wallets, passports, cash, cards, etc. will be inside your backpack. This is not to say that there are a lot of thieves in India but you need a durable pack to secure all your important belongings. It's also recommended that you use a pack lock to secure the inside compartments of your pack.

2) An updated guidebook. There are hundreds of guidebooks about India. You should get at least two. Make sure that the ones you avail are updated and accurate.

3) A map. Yes, you can use apps in your smartphone but it's always a great idea to get a traditional map.

8. cecejailer

cecejailer New Member

It's not exactly about packing, you should worry more about planning the trip, because what you pack is personal. Hygiene products are a must, like tampons if you're a woman. You don't want to forget them and end up not knowing what brand to buy in India! You should also know what will be the weather during your stay, and if you should bring light or heavy clothing. Make a list of everything you need on normal days and make up your mind from it.

9. dane

dane New Member

Is wifi wide available in India? What kind of options do you have fr signing up for local sim which provides decent coverage and data amounts?

10. vegito12

vegito12 Member

I would suggest a bag which is easy to carry and you can put your money and passport in it and only you know what is in it and also make sure you have things like a secure mobile which can get wifi which will help you connect to the internet, and you can search for the places you are travelling to in the country. Clothing which is easy to carry will be a good thing as well as depending on where you are the stores may or maynot have the size you want, and will mean you may have to search around so having a book which tells you about it will be beneficial and if you have a app in the mobile. It is important to be safe and keep a lock on your bag and not to keep anything in the pocket as it can drop out if you are in a rush and try and keep the things you only need and the rest of things at the place you are styaying so that it does not get too heavy for you while you are having a tour.

11. dane

dane New Member

Didn't actually consider I may have trouble findng clothes, expected to be able to buy some shoes and some cheap clothes. i'm 185cm and UK size 11 shoe. Will there be many options for me? What are typical sizes in India?

12. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well it is kind of embarrassing to admit this, but make sure you pack your camera. I know that you are thinking what idiot would forget a camera, well that idiot is me. I had my phone with me so it was not all lost, but that is nowhere near the quality of my camera. I was with others who took pictures and I have my memories and photos, but it would have been nice to have my own camera there. I will never make that mistake again.

13. pavilion

pavilion New Member

The things you should pack for a trip across India are not something different than your usual stuff you pack for any other part of the world, really. If you are going to a place like Yumthang in winter, then you will need to pack up clothes suited for cold weather for example. Eventually is just a matter that's up to your own preference. Maybe it would be most convenient to research which goods and services are more expensive in comparison of your home country, and thus you can save money buying there before start your trip to India.

14. dane

dane New Member

Is there anything that for whatever reason is NOT that cheap in India? like something that must be imported or something that we actually get cheaper?

15. ashley0323

ashley0323 New Member

Some of the things mentioned here is good to keep in mind. Always remember to keep in mind that most airlines will not allow anything liquid over 4oz.. I only mention this because I brought brand new full-sized shampoo/conditioner/lotion/and beverages( for the flight) and had to leave it all at the airport. I was quite upset.. haha Other than this though, just your normal items.

16. Casiox

Casiox New Member

I personally think he's asking because he probably is the kind of person that forgets about everything in the last moment especially right before leaving the house, it happens to me a lot and I really like searching for this kind of information, however, it is a good advice to buy things there, but you definitely would spend a lot of money and I think that's something you should save for special occasions, remember that you're going to be in another country and therefore many great things may get to happen.

17. ad.mike2016

ad.mike2016 New Member

I have said this in other posts but bug spray and mosquito nets are very important. There are many mosquito born illnesses that are prevalent in India, such as Dengue fever. I would make sure you either pack this or purchase it right after arriving in country. Having a small survival pack with you would also be beneficial. This should include water purification tablets, matches/lighters, and other objects that would come in handy in a pinch. You never know what situation you might encounter and being prepared is very important.

18. clair02

clair02 New Member

I know that a lot of us have been conditioned to think that India is very different from our country, but from the research I have done online, it seems pretty much the same in most aspects. I am not worried about not being able to find the things that I need to buy when I go on my honeymoon, and I'm not going to over-pack. I'm quite sure we'll find everything we need there, if not better things. I'm so looking forward to visiting for the first time.

manik pawar likes this.
  19. manik pawar

manik pawar New Member

That is indeed a Smart reply. I will definitely save on my travel note.