Traveling With A Girl Companion, Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Travel Partners' started by OursIsTheFury, May 7, 2016.

1. OursIsTheFury

OursIsTheFury Member

I'm planning on backpacking through Europe, but I'm considering going with my friend who also wants to travel. Part of me just wants to travel with company, but I also am worried about her, because being alone traveling in Europe for the first time, and a woman at that, would really invite trouble. Am I being too paranoid or am I right to justify me going with her, and even learning a few basic moves in self defense just in case?

2. amelia88

amelia88 Active Member

I think that for the most part, your security when you travel is often common sense based. Things like not going wandering around in poorly lit back alleys is something I would never do in my home country - let alone doing that somewhere I was unfamiliar with. I don't think self defence moves are really needed - just make sure you both make good decisions and always think with a "safety first" mentality in mind. That's something I advocate for whenever and wherever I visit.

3. Elaine Lat

Elaine Lat Member

I worried about this too because there would be a time when I'd prefer traveling on my own and maybe I would have to learn means to defend myself. Thinking about it, I did travel to the capital of my own country alone one and I was pregnant at that time as well. I've asked for directions from security guards and street vendors whom I trust wouldn't give me the wrong way to where I want to be. Since we are talking about a different country here, I'd probably stick to relying on a tour guide since I'm a first timer. If you're backpacking, asking help from the locals would not be such a bad idea. If I'm to ask for from shopkeepers or bar owners, I'd make sure to give them some business in return for information that I might need. This will add to your security, I think, if people know about you but it may also invite trouble so just be wary of suspicious characters and stay where there are lots of people.

4. Johnnie

Johnnie New Member

You don't need to worry that traveling with a girl companion will be like attracting the wrong sort of attention. If you are concerned that traveling through a certain place might not be safe then trust your instincts and stay away from that place. And try to blend in. No one will bother you if they don't know you are tourists.

5. Trevlr

Trevlr New Member

You can travel with anybody so long as you have common interests while travelling. Look for someone you have travelled with before if you feel nervous. It is not a must that you should travel with a stranger if you are not comfortable with that. Also consider your marital status if you want to travel with somebody of the opposite sex.