Tree Bridges In Cherrapunji, Meghalaya

Discussion in 'Meghalaya' started by Sammie, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Sammie

Sammie Member

Has anyone been to see the tree bridges in Cherrapunji? The rubber trees grow their roots in such a way that they can be trained to create a walking bridge from tree to tree. The pictures look fantastic and show people walking on them.

2. Joanne

Joanne New Member

After reading this I had to go and take a look. That is amazing how a tree can grow like this. I wonder if people had to go there year after year and to wire the root or change their direction of growth. It sort of reminds me of bonsai trees and how people wire the trunks of the trees.

3. barbara

barbara New Member

This is interesting. I've never seen a tree grow like that, it must be pretty pliable. I'd love to go see this bridge and walk on it, especially the double bridge I saw in one picture. It is a smart way to use nature to help you cross water and rough terrain.

4. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

I have not seen tree bridges that lets you walk from tree to tree for real. But I think they are wonderful. Cherrapunji is a place in India where it rains most, thus walking in these tree bridges could be dangerous.

5. swalia

swalia Guest

This is something new to me. I just checked it out on Google. The images look fabulous. I have seen many temporary bridges in the Northern hilly regions but thses tree bridges are really unique. Thanks for sharing!

6. xTinx

xTinx Member

Wow, the tree bridges look awesome and I've frankly never seen one before - not even where I'm from. I hope they're as sturdy as they look (they in fact look a lot safer than hanging bridges). One of these days, when I get to visit that part of India, they'd be the first thing I'd look for.

7. Daira

Daira New Member

I appreciate the advice, Vinaya. From what I can see, it looks like the bridges have flat walking spaces and sides to hold onto. Do you think slipping could still be a concern?