What Are The Biggest Cultural Differences Between The People From North And South India?

Discussion in 'North India' started by hellotraveler, Jan 20, 2016.

1. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

My entire post question is entirely in the title! I am wondering what the cultural differences are between North and South India, and if there is anything that a traveler should know (good or bad, or at least some do's and dont's for each region) while going to each part?

Admin likes this.

2. Chahal

Chahal ਜੱਟ ਕੀ ਤੇ ਘੱਟ ਕੀ Staff Member

This in my opinion is going to be the longest thread on this forum in a few months time.

I am a North Indian myself, from the state of Punjab and I personally believe that people here in the North are more aggressive and at the same time more generous when you compare with the South. This aggression factor is apparent on the roads, the way people drive. Take for example New Delhi where every one would just revv up their cars even before the lights turn green and they try to take over each other like their life depends on it but as you move down South people are a little more laid back with an exception of a few pockets here and there which I am not going to name as people take offense. I know I would be stoned to death in the posts that will follow ;)

Dont get me wrong, I highly recommend visiting the Northern part of India as much as the South because for a tourist it doesn't really make a difference as attitude towards tourists is going to be friendly regardless of what part of India you are in.

hellotraveler likes this.

3. JKewe

JKewe New Member

This is an interesting question, and I see that there is the perspective of one person from North India, but nothing from South India! I wonder if they would agree with this assessment.

4. Vinaya

Vinaya Member

You cannot group India simply into two categories such as north India and South India. Geographically, it may be appropriate, however, culturally it is not possible. Eben inside north India there are so many cultures that you will be confused. Gujarati and Punbjai culture, both are north Indian cultures, however, they are so much different, as to Tamil culture in south India.

5. swalia

swalia Guest

I agree with Vinaya! India is culturally so diverse. Even with North India, the cultures are so different in the various states. However, the major difference that you may find in North and South India is that of language. Hindi is commonly spoken in North India while South Indians have little knowledge of Hindi. Also North Indians are a bit more aggressive than South Indians but at the same time more warm, helpful and welcoming.

6. hellotraveler

hellotraveler Member

I've heard that there are differences between the Eastern and Western people of India as much as Northern and Southern. One of these is that the Eastern Indians are mostly of the Catholic faith, while people who are West Indian are more of the beliefs and lifestyle of the Carribean?

Please correct me if I am mistaken or wrong on this, because this is only what I have heard, but I know of differences just with members of my own family who are Catholic on one side, and Protestant on the other, so I would be interested to know if I should be prepared for any religious and cultural differences in daily travel there?

I only see myself at this time going to North and South India at first, but may visit Eastern and Western parts later since I here there are many cultural landmarks and exciting things to see in each region.

Admin likes this.
  7. KAREN MARTIN

KAREN MARTIN New Member

Some of the major differences between North and South India are the racial origins, because they have different races and origin that reside from the North and South India and the traditions from music and dance! The North and South also have major differences in the geography and politics level and dress style is extremely different as well! The South part of India is greater in climates and has hotter sunshine then the North part of India just to add for your educational knowledge on India!