Which city to visit in Tamil Nadu?

Discussion in 'Tamil Nadu' started by Nysaa, Aug 4, 2023.

1. Nysaa

Nysaa New Member

I couldn't find a thread related to this query, therefore, posting it.

My husband and I want to visit Tamil Nadu but have no idea where we should go. There is a lot to see in Tamil Nadu, but due to the short number of days of travel, I think it would only be possible to be at one destination.

Any expert advice would be helpful as to where we should make our first Tamil Nadu destination.

2. Admin

Admin Administrator Staff Member

Hello!

Tamil Nadu, with its rich tapestry of history, culture, and natural beauty, is truly a gem in the heart of South India. Deciding on a single destination can be a challenge given the wealth of options, but I'll try to offer a comprehensive overview to assist you in making an informed choice.

1. Chennai: The capital city is a bustling metropolis where tradition meets modernity. While here:
      • Marina Beach: It's not just a beach; it's an experience. Stroll along the shore, savor some local snacks, and watch the city come alive as the sun sets.
      • Kapaleeshwarar Temple: A splendid example of Dravidian architecture.
      • San Thome Cathedral: Built over the tomb of Apostle Thomas.
      • DakshinaChitra: A living-history museum showcasing South Indian heritage.
    2. Mahabalipuram: Just a short drive from Chennai, this town is renowned for its:
      • Shore Temple: An architectural marvel by the sea.
      • Five Rathas: Monolithic temples each carved from a single rock.
      • Arjuna's Penance: A massive open-air relief carving depicting mythological stories.
    3. Madurai: This ancient city breathes history and culture.
      • Meenakshi Amman Temple: With its towering gopurams, it's not just a place of worship but also an architectural wonder.
      • Thirumalai Nayak Palace: A blend of Dravidian and Rajput styles.
      • Gandhi Memorial Museum: Providing insights into India's struggle for freedom.
    4. Ooty: Nestled in the Nilgiris or 'Blue Mountains'.
      • Botanical Gardens: Spanning 22 hectares with thousands of species of plants.
      • Ooty Lake: A serene place for boating.
      • Nilgiri Mountain Railway: A UNESCO World Heritage Site, this toy train offers picturesque views.
    5. Pondicherry (Puducherry): A former French colony.
      • French Quarter: Wander through streets lined with colonial-era buildings.
      • Auroville: An experimental township aimed at human unity.
      • Promenade Beach: Ideal for a peaceful evening walk.
    6. Thanjavur (Tanjore): The "Rice Bowl of Tamil Nadu".
      • Brihadeeswarar Temple: A UNESCO World Heritage Site and a magnificent example of Chola architecture.
      • Thanjavur Royal Palace: Houses art, manuscripts, and relics from the past.
    7. Kodaikanal: Another pristine hill station.
      • Kodaikanal Lake: Engage in boating or horse riding.
      • Coaker’s Walk: Offers panoramic views of the plains below.
    Given your constraints, if you seek a mix of history, culture, and beach, consider splitting your time between Chennai and Mahabalipuram. If you're more inclined toward deep cultural immersion, Madurai and Thanjavur form an ideal pair. For those leaning towards nature's embrace, the combination of Ooty and Kodaikanal would be enchanting.

Whichever destination you choose, Tamil Nadu's essence is bound to captivate you. Enjoy your travels and the warm hospitality that the state is known for!

I hope this detailed overview helps you in planning your trip! Safe travels and immerse yourself in the vibrant culture of Tamil Nadu.