Which Is Better Manali, Dalhousie Or Dharamshala?

Discussion in 'Himachal Pradesh' started by Wanderlust, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

I am planning for a 4/5 days family vacation, preferably to a hill station in North India. Manali appears to be a good choice, but I am afraid that the place might be too crowded with tourists. Dalhousie seems to be a good alternative and I have also shortlisted Dharamshala as a probable destination.

At the moment I am confused with respect to the choice of destination. Manali or Dalhousie or Dharamshala? Which would be a better option considering that I will be travelling with my wife and kids? I shall greatly appreciate an advice or suggestion from the travel gurus out there.

2. Debapriya Deb

Debapriya Deb Active Member

Manali vs Dalhousie vs Dharamshala is a never ending debate!

I have seen this question repeatedly in almost every other tourism forums. To be frank, there is no straightforward answer to this question. Every individual is different and so are their likes and dislikes. While Manali attracts quite a lot of tourists, there are a few who think it's overrated and overcrowded. Similarly Dalhousie and Dharamshala too have their own set of admirers and detractors.

Which can be the ideal destination for you depends on your tastes, preferences and schedule of travel. But one thing is for sure that all these places are exceptionally scenic and have something or the other to offer the tourists of all types and ages.

Dalhousie is a sleepy hill station without too many things to do and too many places to see. If you would like to have a laid-back kind of relaxing trip, then Dalhousie is a better option compared to Manali. Those who are looking for a honeymoon destination that can offer the much needed privacy, then also Dalhousie can be the perfect bet. Dalhousie has a rustic charm that may not get along well with the adventure seekers, but would definitely cast a magical spell on the nature lovers.

Manali, on the other hand, can be the right choice for those who are looking for some adventure alongside serenity. There are lots of places to explore around Manali. Snow is an added attraction and you can indulge in various adventure sports like skiing and white water rafting. Another advantage of Manali is the wide choice of staying options. From very basic lodging to posh and upmarket resorts, you can easily find the perfect stay according to your budget. Having said that, in-case you are travelling during the peak season, then make sure to book your accommodation well in advance to avoid inconvenience.

Dharamshala is less commercialized compared to Manali and Dalhousie. It can be the perfect getaway if you want to stay away from the crazy rush of tourists. Apart from the picturesque surroundings, Dharamshala is a place that has great spiritual, religious and cultural significance. There are quite a few Tibetan Buddhist monasteries that can be explored while visiting Dharamshala. Situated on the backdrop of Dhauladhar ranges, Dharamshala is blessed with some of the finest trekking trails. In terms of finances, if you are on a tight budget, then it makes sense to choose Dharamshala over Manali or Dalhousie. As you are planning for a 4-5 days trip, then you can easily club both Dalhousie and Dharamshala in a single trip. Mcleodganj is less than half an hours drive from Dharamshala and is a must visit if you visit Dharamshala and if you are lucky you may be able to see the Dalai Lama who lives at Mcleodganj.

Apart from Manali, Dalhousie and Dharamshala, there are quite a few beautiful hill stations in the Northern parts of India. In case you are interested in finding out a few other probable options, then kindly refer to this article - 20 Weekend Getaways From Delhi.

Regards,
    Deb

Admin and Wanderlust like this.

3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Member

Thanks a lot @Debapriya Deb for the detailed reply. Adventure is not something I am looking for on this trip, so I think Dalhousie or Dharamshala would suit my purpose better. I didn't have the idea that both Dalhousie and Dharamshala can be covered in a single trip. That's a great suggestion and I think I will take that. Manali could wait for the time being.